Did you know that the very first paper coupon was released by Coca-Cola in 1888? That’s how it looked like:
By 1913, the company had redeemed 8.5 million tickets. The coupon marketing era has started. Where are we now? In this article I’m going to collect those coupon industry statistics and trends that can be of use for e-commerce specialists.
Well, it’ve been 127 years. It’ve been a lot: coupon hysteria during the great depression, a big switch from local markets to big stores in the USA after the war, when coupons also played a significant role, and finally the invention of the Internet which brought printable and digital coupons. What shop owners should know about coupon usage in 2015?
1. Emails with coupons have more opens, clicks and transactions
Experian’s 2013 Q4 Email Benchmark report shows that emails with coupons have
- a 14% higher open rate;
- a 34% jump in unique clicks;
- a 27% increase in transaction rates;
- 48% boost in revenue per email, compared to other types of promotional emails.
2. 70% want coupons emailed to them for products they normally buy
According to Inmar, people actually:
- want you to send them digital coupons;
- want coupons for products they usually buy.
3. Shoppers use, on average, 5.8 methods to discover/acquire coupons
According to the 2014 Inmar Shopper Behavior Study, shoppers overall are regularly using, on average, 5.8 methods to discover and acquire coupons, combining both traditional and digital methods.
Here’s a digital coupons fact from VoucherCloud infographic:
Here’s a list to start with:
- email your coupons to your list;
- blog about it;
- share it on your social media accounts; encourage to follow your so shoppers won’t miss the next deal;
- post it to coupons directory/distribution website;
- post it to social media groups devoted to coupons, including Google Plus communities, LinkedIn groups, Facebook groups, Pinterest group boards and more;
- place a banner on your website and blog.
4. Projected number of U.S. smartphone mobile coupon users by 2015 is 74.1m
The mobile coupon is an electronic version of a paper coupon that can be searched for and then delivered to consumers on their mobile devices.
According to Statista, 74.1m people will use smartphone mobile coupons by 2015 – and these are the stats for the USA only. What is more, the chart shows steady and significant increase in the number of mobile coupon users, which means the market is growing rapidly:
5. Coupons beat sales when it comes to influencing decision making
When it comes to the types of digital promotions most likely to influence purchase decisions, coupons beat out sales and daily deal vouchers by a wide margin, according to a survey of 500 US consumers who used a digital coupon, offer, or online promotion code in the prior 3 months. The study was conducted by Forrester Consulting on behalf of RetailMeNot.
6. Consumers feel getting a better price than others makes them feel like winners
60% of consumers feel that shopping is competitive and getting a better price than others makes them feel like winners, according to Yahoo.
If you run a Magento store, feel free to check Special Occasion Coupons Amasty extension:
- Significantly increase customer loyalty
- Send coupons to clients on birthday, signup, other events
- Automatically send coupons to customers
- Set send date, discount, expiry, etc. for each coupon type
- Ability to automatically remove old coupons
Which coupon marketing tactics work for you? Please share your thoughts in comments.